Hello Darkness, my old friend, I’m grateful that you are here to cloak my intoxication and runny mascara again.
This is written in response to the Daily Prompt “Opening Lines“
“What’s the first line of the last song you listened to (on the radio, on your music player, or anywhere else)? Use it as the first sentence of your post.”
The last song I listened to was Disturbed’s take on The Sound of Silence (admittedly, it is almost the only song I listen to these days. I love it that much!). Granted, Simon and Garfunkel’s original version is pretty darn good, but this version is even better. Just listen to this powerful rock-voice. This man can sing! Totally gives me goose bumps!
When I separate the first line of the song – Hello darkness, my old friend – from the rest of the lyrics (I had to force myself, because the lyrics are very profound and good – and it is hard to look past that), I think of my days as a young adult going clubbin’ with my friends. Many were the times that I was thankful for the darkness to hide my “all partied out”-look, spilling out of the nightclubs at 4 am. You know, wobbling around on high heels, run in the pantyhose, mascara smudged and lipstick smeared, and hair all over the place. A look somewhat reminiscent of the “walk of shame”-look (however the walk of shame usually took place in daylight). Don’t sit there and be all prissy, you know exactly what I’m talking about!
Now, this also reminds me of what goes on earlier in the night; the pick-up lines! Some of them hopeless, some of them cheesy, and some of them knee-slappingly funny. Here is a list of my favorite pick-up lines (opening lines) – and they are mostly truly horrible ones:
- Do you know what my shirt is made of? Boyfriend material.
- Are you my Appendix? Because I have a funny feeling in my stomach that makes me feel like I should take you out.
- If you were a booger I’d pick you first
- My love for you is like diarrhea, I just can’t hold it in.
- Rejection can lead to emotional stress for both parties involved and emotional stress can lead to physical complications such as headaches, ulcers, cancerous tumors, and even death! So for my health and yours, JUST SAY YES!
- Did you fart, ’cause you blew me away?
- I love you like a pig loves not being bacon.
Do you have any funny pick-up lines to share with me? Please leave them in the comments-field 🙂
Before you go, you just have to listen to the tune again (it is just that good!):